We are conducting an open Audition to discover and promote talent to help keep Doo Wop alive and vibrant. We are looking for groups of performers who sing acapella or with instrumentation in the classic Doo Wop style to feature in a televised performance.
See the information below on submitting Audition Videos. The performers we select based on the auditions will receive an offer to sing at a performance that we will tape, either in your area of the country or at a live event at a location that may be anywhere in the country or at our studio. We will provide at our discretion instrumental backup, through a house band or instrumental track, for singers who request it. Performers who do not have original material will be required to select a classic Doo Wop song from a repertoire that we provide. For those who are selected to perform based on the auditions, we will pay basic travel and lodging expenses, although any expenses beyond those that we specify in advance will be the responsibility of the performer(s). Any offer to perform is subject to performer(s) signing an assignment and rights agreement with our standard terms and conditions, and failure to sign the agreement will result in forfeiture of the opportunity to perform. Any offers for a minor to perform are valid only if a parent or legal guardian signs an affidavit and release required by us. Additionally, a parent or legal guardian must travel with the minor to the performance and accompany the minor at all times throughout the minor’s presence at the performance location as required by us.
Please note that this is not a contest. There is no fee to audition and no payment for auditioning. If you are chosen to perform based on our analysis of your Audition Video, we will pay your reasonable expenses to travel to the performance location. However, you will not receive any fee or other compensation for your performance. If we choose to include your performance in a television program or a video that we distribute, you will receive solely the attendant publicity. If we use your performance for any commercial purpose, you will receive the compensation that is set forth in the assignment and rights agreement that you will be required to sign before we commit to having you perform in or program or video.
- ELIGIBILITY. Only legal residents (citizens and permanent residents) of the United States who reside in the 50 U.S. States, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico are eligible to audition. You must be over 13 years old to audition. If you are a minor under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must provide a signed authorization for you to audition on our standard form. Proof of residency and age will be required prior to any performance. If you are a minor and reside in a State in which court approval is required in order for a contract to perform to be legally binding on you, you will be responsible for securing that approval and for providing all documentation that we require. Performers must be willing and able to perform publicly and able legally and otherwise to meet all of our requirements. By submitting an audition video, performers agree to be bound by these rules. Our decisions on whom to choose for performances and whether all eligibility requirements have been met will be binding and final.As of the date of submitting an audition video and through the date of any performance, no performer may have a current recording contract or be bound by obligations to any third party that would conflict with the rights, or interfere with our exercise of the rights, granted herein.
- AUDITION PERIOD. The Audition Period ends at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on December 24, 2021.
- TO SUBMIT AN AUDITION VIDEO: Visit www.DooWopStar.com during the Audition Period and follow the directions to complete and submit the official submission form. Submit one video of your group’s live performance of one song, between 2 and 4 minutes in length, and all other materials and information required by the form. All Audition Videos must be live vocal performances. No lip-synching is permitted, and any lip-synched videos will be disqualified from consideration. The full legal names of all of the members of the group, including the name of the group leader, if there is one, must be provided. Only one Audition Video may be submitted per group, and no person may be a part of more than one group submitting an Audition Video. Audition Videos received in violation of these limitations will be void. Any attempt to use multiple names or other tactics to submit additional Audition Videos beyond the one permitted Audition Video will result in your disqualification, in which case all associated Audition Videos submitted by you or in which you appear will be void. All Audition Videos become our property and will not be returned. Performances must be presented on video; no audio-only submissions will be accepted. If the performance of a minor is included in an Audition Video, the submission and grant of rights must include permission from the minor’s parent or legal guardian on behalf of the minor authorizing the use of the minor’s likeness. An Audition Video must include only the original work of the performer(s), the performance and the Audition Video may not have been previously published, distributed, or released in any media (including YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, Twitter, or any other platform or website), and the performance and Audition Video may not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity, or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity (meaning you can’t include any material owned by any other person or entity), except to the extent that you may perform a previously recorded, published song, and the style of the performance may be reminiscent of the style of classic Doo Wop performing groups. Keep it clean: audition videos must not contain any material that is sexually explicit, violent, or discriminatory or disparaging of any individual or religion, race, ethnicity, gender, or gender expression, or promotes illegal or harmful activities. By submitting an Audition Video, you acknowledge that we, in our sole discretion, may choose whether or not to invite you to perform in-person.
- USE OF AUDITION VIDEOS. By submitting an Audition Video, you assign the copyright in the Audition Video to us. If that assignment is not effective, you grant us an exclusive license to reproduce, distribute, display, and/or transmit the Audition Video in connection with this Audition or otherwise in any manner or media now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity for advertising, promotional, and other purposes, without further notification or permission. If we make commercial use of any Audition Video, we will do so under our standard talent agreement and release, which includes an option for two (2) years for us to engage you as a recording artist under our standard recording contract, subject to good faith negotiation as to the terms of the recording contract. Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for any unauthorized use of Audition Videos by third parties. We have no obligation to make any use of the rights that you grant.
- AUDITION CRITERIA. All eligible Audition Videos submitted will be reviewed by one or more judges who are knowledgeable about Doo Wop music, based on the overall quality of your vocal performance, faithfulness to the Doo Wop tradition, and choreography and costume. Our decisions are final, binding, and non‑appealable.
- NOTIFICATION OF A SUCCESFUL AUDITION. Performers who are given an offer to perform at a live event or performance to be taped will be notified by email, and will be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release, and, a publicity release within seven (7) days after the date of notification. If those documents are not returned within the specified time period, or if an offer to perform is returned as undeliverable, or if any performer is not in compliance with these requirements, the offer to perform may be rescinded at our discretion.
- PUBLICITY GRANT. Each performer, by acceptance of an offer to perform at a taped or live event, grants permission for us and our designees to use his/her name, address (city and state), photograph, voice and/or other likeness for advertising, trade, and promotional purposes without further compensation, in all media now known or hereafter invented, in any manner and with any materials, worldwide in perpetuity, without notice or review or approval.
- RELEASE. Performers, by participating in the Auditions and in any taped or live performance, agree that we and our affiliates and our advertising and promotion agencies and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (collectively, “Released Parties”) will have no liability for, and shall be held harmless by performers against, any liability for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in a taped or live event, including any travel or activity related thereto. Offers for minors to perform in an event will be made to a parent or legal guardian, who must sign the required affidavit or releaser and comply with such other legal requirements as we specify.
- DISQUALIFICATIONS. We reserve the right to disqualify and/or exclude, in our sole and absolute discretion, any individual from proceeding beyond the submission of an Audition Video. ALL FORMS MUST BE FILLED OUT COMPLETELY AND TRUTHFULLY. IF YOU FAIL TO COMPLETE ANY FORM, GIVE ANY FALSE OR INACCURATE INFORMATION, OR FAIL TO REVEAL ANY PERTINENT INFORMATION, YOU MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE AUDITION PROCESS.